Thursday 29 November 2012

Chickkis Pie


Woke up to a very frosty morning today.  So, definitely not taking the wee ones out in that.  That meant, however, I was extremely limited on food stuffs for dinner.  I was going to make chicken chili; I can make one piece of chicken breast stretch far turning it into chili.  But...didn't have the stuff.  So...what to make, what to make?   I found some potatoes in the storage bin, and found a large turnip, and I knew I had some carrots in the crisper.  I went online to find out what spices are used in haggis...wonder if I could make chicken "haggis" pie,  from now on to be called chickkis pie :)  According to one site, dried coriander, cinnamon and nutmeg are used occasionally to flavor haggis.

So, I boiled the potatoes, mashed them, added some double cream and whipped them.  I then boiled the turnip and carrots together until they were very soft, and mashed them.  I baked the chicken until done, chopped it up into small bits, and layered salt, fresh black pepper, dried coriander, cinnamon and nutmeg over the chicken.  I then layered the turnip and carrot mix over top of the chicken.  The potatoes were layered on top of the turnip and carrots; I then added a fine layer of shredded mild cheddar cheese.   I baked this at 180 C until the cheddar was a bit crisp on top.  I served it with brussel sprouts and steamed sweet potatoes.  Very nice dinner, for very little money.  Me likes this lots.

No comments:

Post a Comment